The only thing BET had going for it back in the day were a few talk and news
shows. There was the news show BET tonight (with, at various times, Ed Gordon
and Tavis Smiley). There was a talk show with the great Bev Smith--who,
curiously, was the *only* dark-skinned person hosting a major show in BET for
quite a long time. Bev is good, no nonsense, and well informed, and her show
reflected her abilities. There was a good show aimed at teens that aired on
Saturdays (I think it was called Teen Beat). Before the gangtsa rap thing
really hit, it had a feeling that now I guess we'd call "innocent", dealing
with real issues like divorce, drugs, school quality, along with having guests
who'd come in and talk to the kids. There was music, videos, and dancing, but
like I said, it didn't have the harder, more carnal edge that even shows aimed
at young adults can have nowadays. Finally, there was a good news talk show
hosted by Ed Gordon that had a panel including George Curry and Clarence Page.
Good, informed discussions. I forget the name of the show. But curiously, BET
chose to air both it and Bev Smith's show on Sundays before noon--when most
black folk were at church or brunch!
There was even an enjoyable entertainment themed show where Tanya Hart
interviewed various celebrity guests. Last I saw, I think Ms. Hart does some
kind of gossip stuff, as I see her show up on TMZ-like shows dishing on who's
sleeping with whom in Hollywood.

But yeah, back then BET had enough shows like the above so that I watched it a
least a few hours a week.