Varley is very underrated.

Marian,
I love all the Hyperion books but some folks don't care as much for sequels
Endymion and The Rise of Endymion.

I like Asimov's ideas but his writing never grabbed me. Is it the scope,
characters or something else?

As far a scale and scope Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence might be a good fit.
It's filled huge ideas, a story that starts at the beginning and closes at the
end of this universe, inscrutable alien races, a war that is universal in
scope, etc. The story collection Vacuum Diagrams is a good place to start for
an overview of the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeelee_Sequence