(speechless)

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

To: cdemorse...@yahoo.com
CC: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: tdli...@multiculturaladvantage.com
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:38:04 -0700
Subject: [scifinoir2] FW: [AFAMHED] Texas Executed an Innocent Man

From: African-Americans
in Higher Education [mailto:afam...@listserv.muohio.edu] On Behalf Of John
Lindsay

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 11:03 AM

To: afam...@listserv.muohio.edu

Subject: [AFAMHED] Texas Executed an Innocent Man

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:42:46 -0500

From: i...@innocenceproject.org

To: jcli...@msn.com

Subject: Texas Executed an Innocent Man

        New Reports Show
        that Texas Executed an Innocent Man in 2004

          A new investigation shows that Cameron Todd Willingham,
          who was executed in Texas in 2004 after spending 12 years on death
          row, was innocent. An exhaustive report published today in the New
          Yorker deconstructs the case against Willingham and finds that all
          evidence used against him was false.

          "There can no longer be any doubt that an innocent
          person has been executed," Innocence Project Co-Director Barry
          Scheck said today. "The question now turns to how we can stop it
          from happening again."

          Read
          the full New Yorker story here.

          Willingham was convicted in 1992 of setting a fire that
          killed his three children (including two-year-old Amber, pictured on
          Willingham's shoulders). He proclaimed his innocence throughout his
          trial and refused an offer to plead guilty in exchange for a life
          sentence, saying "I ain't gonna plead to something I didn't do,
          especially killing my own kids."

        The new report comes three years after the Innocence
        Project released analysis from the nation's leading arson experts that
        the evidence against Willingham was invalid. Documents obtained by the
        Innocence Project also show that Texas officials ignored convincing
        evidence of Willingham's innocence in the days leading up to his
        execution. The Innocence Project submitted this evidence of forensic
        error to the Texas Forensic Science Commission, which agreed to
        investigate the case in 2007.

        Last week, an independent arson expert contracted by the
        commission submitted his report, finding that the arson evidence in
        Willingham's case was wrong. The commission is reviewing the report and
        will release its findings next year.

        For
        background on the case and links to media coverage, video and more,
        visit the Innocence Project website.

        The
        Innocence Project — Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law

        100 Fifth Ave. 3rd Floor - New York, NY 10011

        www.innocenceproject.org

       Manage
    your email subscriptions / Donate to the
    Innocence Project / Visit our
    website