To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: hellomahog...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:33:39 -0700
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Hawking to step down from Cambridge position

                  The end of an era.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:54 AM, brent wodehouse <brent_wodeho...@thefence.us>
wrote:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090930/hawking_cambridge_090930/20090930?hub=TopStoriesV2

Hawking to step down from Cambridge position

By: The Associated Press

Date: Wednesday Sep. 30, 2009

LONDON  - Physicist Stephen Hawking stepped down Wednesday as Lucasian

Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University after 30 years in the

post.

The roughly 350-year-old position has been held by such luminaries as

Isaac Newton and Charles Babbage, one of the fathers of modern computing.

It is customary for professors to retire from the post the year they turn

67.

Hawking, who reached that age in January, will continue to work at the

university as director of research at a department dealing with applied

mathematics and theoretical physics.

"This is an exciting time in cosmology with new observational results

coming in thick and fast and large-scale terrestrial and satellite

experiments underway," Hawking said in a statement. "I want to make sure

this progress is matched by the development of theories of the universe

which are both mathematically consistent and observationally testable."

Hawking is famous for his research on black holes and his popular works in

theoretical physics, including the book "A Brief History of Time: From the

Big Bang to Black Holes."

The university has advertised for a new Lucasian Professor and a

replacement will be announced shortly.

Last November, Hawking accepted a research post at the Perimeter Institute

for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ont. But he was unable to make a

planned trip this year because of a respiratory infection.

Hawking has remained active despite being diagnosed at 21 with an

incurable degenerative disorder, known as ALS.

 Groups Links

    Individual Email | Traditional

    (Yahoo! ID required)

    mailto:scifinoir2-dig...@yahoogroups.com

    mailto:scifinoir2-fullfeatu...@yahoogroups.com

    scifinoir2-unsubscr...@yahoogroups.com

Bringing diversity to perversity for 9 years!