From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scifino...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Kelwyn
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 7:42 AM
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: Megan Fox's Scary Box Office Problem

I am going to say something paradoxical here (I've been thinking about this
all night), stars like Rita Hayward, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford have to
be taken off the board.

(Yes, I know Rita Hayward was hot and Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were
not. But Ms. Davis and Ms. Crawford were sick with sexual power).

I say this because during Hollywood's Golden Age there were many strong
women represented on the big screen (Miss Barbara Stanwyck, anyone?), which
was in direct opposition to the strength of women in society at large.

I suggest male dominated box office (beginning with Clint Eastwood and Burt
Reynolds in the late seventies) is in direct opposition to women's lib and
the advancement of women in the workplace.

To address Rita Hayward specifically, her most famous
role was "Gilda," where she flaunted her sexual power like nobody's
business.  "Gilda" is a terrific fusion of "sexual heat, jealosy, fear and
hatred," of the kind we haven't seen since "Basic Instinct" (1992).

Which reminds of great strong, sexual screen presences like Kathleen Turner
and Sharon Stone and how they are largely considered menopausal jokes now.

~(no)rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Martin Baxter <truthseeker...@...> wrote:

> rave, what about Rita Hayworth?
>
> "If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in
bloody hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQUxw9aUVik
>

> To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
> From: ravena...@...
> Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:18:57 +0000
> Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: Megan Fox's Scary Box Office Problem

>                   Ann Margaret was eye and arm candy.  Her most iconic
role was as a sexy, beautiful woman who is shamelessly punked by Jack
Nicholson in Mike Nichol's "Carnal Knowledge."  To my point, in one of the
few movies she headlined,"Kitten with a Whip," in which she played a
juvenile delinquent who escapes from reform school by stabbing a matron and
attempting to burn down the building, proved to be her personal "Catwoman."

> Ditto for Marilyn Monroe (victim, eye and arm candy).
>

> Angelina Jolie fits the bill but she did not become a box office star
until her rogue sexuality was softened by adoption and motherhood.

> Ava Gardner is an excellent example but her overt sexuality was acceptable
because she was always coupled with strong iconic men like big, robust
Howard Keel in "Showboat" and Clark Gable in "Magambo" - men who could
literally put her in her "place."

> But you make my point best in your last paragraph: none of the previews
showed her looking appealing, but instead as an exaggerated terrifying her
that looked like she might bite off a guys important part.  I knew someone
who edited a forum/penthouse letters publication once, and stuff like was
considered a no-no when it came to targeting mainstream males.

> Hall and Oates wrote a song about it.  Wanna hear it?  Here it go:
>

> She's deadly man, she could really rip your world apart
>
> Mind over matter
>
> Ooh, the beauty is there but a beast is in the heart
>
> (Oh-oh, here she comes) Watch out boy she'll chew you up
>
> (Oh-oh, here she comes) She's a maneater
>
> (Oh-oh, here she comes) Watch out boy she'll chew you up
>
> (Oh-oh, here she comes) She's a maneater
>

> ~rave!
>

> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella" <tdlists@> wrote:
>

> > What about Ann Margaret, Ava Gardner, Marilyn Monroe, Angelina Jolie (
>
> > before the Anorexia), J-Lo, the blond from Grey's Anatomy, Katherine
Heigl,

> > Sophia Loren, Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Jessica Biel
>

> > All of them have been in hits I believe and are considered sexy
>

> > Are you saying women reject sexy women.  I think we seek to be them.  I
do

> > not think the jealousy factor is at work here.  I used to love movies
with

> > Hot Kick Ass Broads because I wanted to be one.  I was taking notes, I
was

> > buying bustiers, leathers skirts and thigh high boots. (back in the day,
>
> > those things were in okay, so stop laughing.
>

> > I will probably check out Jennifer's Body on DVD, but my sense is it was
>
> > poorly marketed.  Fox has some image problems than include she is
nothing

> > but a body and then she star's in a movie called Jennifer's body in
which

> > the previews do not reveal that it is a comedy.  Some decided to sell in
the

> > previews a pure slasher horror.  If I had not read the reviews, I would
have

> > thought that she decided to play up that she is nothing but a body.
>
> > Regarding young guys.. none of the previews showed her looking
appealing,

> > but instead as an exaggerated terrifying her that looked like she might
>
> > bite off a guys important part.  I knew someone who edited a
forum/penthouse

> > letters publication once, and stuff like was considered a no-no when it
came

> > to targeting mainstream males.  She did not look sexy in the previews,
and

> > the previews is what people use to determine whether to go see it.  If I
>
> > were a young guy who thought she was hot, I would have popped in a
>
> > transformers DVD instead, based on those previews

Taylor

> > is perhaps the exception that proves the rule but she, too, was slapped
>
> > around in a number of her iconic roles and the films where she exuded
pure

> > female sexual power ("Cleopatra") were not box office hits.
>

> > And, to be clear about this, the article stated females rejected Fox not
for

> > being "too sexy and beautiful" but because of her "pure, raw sexuality,"
>
> > which is something else altogether.  Barbie is "too sexy and beautiful."
>
> > Fox is no Barbie doll.
>

> > There is an ongoing dynamic going on but you may ignore it if it suits
you.

> > ~rave!
>

> > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Keith Johnson <KeithBJohnson@> wrote:
>

> > > Did I fall asleep? Since when is the pure horror genre driven by
female

> > audiences?
>
> > > And as for women not responding to Fox, is it that she's too sexy and
>
> > beautiful for them, or (more likely) that she hasn't displayed a range
and

> > depth that makes them interested in anything she has to say on screen? I
>
> > mean, there have been untold numbers of actresses over the years who've
been

> > classified as beautiful and sexy in the extreme, from Liz Taylor to
Racquel

> > Welch, from Pam Grier to Halle Berry. Such women have always found a
female

> > audience, depending on the roles they play.
>
> > > I think this is more the script and Fox's one-note facial expressions.

Fox's