To paraphrase Lucienne Hill and Jean Anouihl, "Who will rid me of these
bothersome Siffy execs?"

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: keithbjohn...@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 02:38:54 +0000
Subject: [scifinoir2] Syfy Buys Remake of Being Human

I could ask, what do they gain by moving the remake to America? I could ask,
"why not just show the original on SyFy?" I could ask, what does it mean to
"Americanize" a theme that is supposedly universal, other than a change of
accents, food, and city names? I could ask--but I won't!

http://www.sfuniverse.com/2009/10/29/syfy-buys-remake-of-being-human/
Syfy Buys Remake of Being Human

                                                October 29, 2009 by Cynthia

                                                Leave a Comment

This past summer, we here in the US were treated to a run of the BBC series
Being Human which follows the “lives” of a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost who
are roommates.

Though it sounds like the plot of a bad sitcom, Being Human is actually a
startlingly real and emotional TV series that shows the very best and the very
worst of our species.

Now, the company that produced the series is preparing a 13 episode American
reboot to premiere on Syfy in Summer 2010.

“Being Human is a smart, contemporary, young and imaginative series
that reflects Syfy’s new brand positioning. We are very excited to
adapt this for an American audience and bring it into Syfy’s family of
programming,” said Syfy president Dave Howe.

Mark Stern, Executive Vice President, Original
Content for Syfy and Co-Head, Original Content for Universal Cable
Productions added, “We’ve loved this project and been tracking it for a
while. BeingHuman definitely distinguishes itself as something new and
different in a landscape filled with familiar supernatural fare. In
adapting it, we intend to work closely with RDF to keep the wit, insight, and
humor of the original, while opening up the series for a new audience.”

“We’re incredibly proud of our British
series and had a tremendous amount of interest in adapting the project
for the States. With Syfy’s unwavering passion and dedication for the
show, we’re confident it can be as successful here as it is in the UK,”
said Chris Coelen, CEO of RDF Media USA.

Personally, I’m very curious about this idea of remaking a series for American
audiences. We tried it with The Office and it worked, but Kath & Kim was a huge
failure, and what happened to the US version of AbFab?

Being Human has a pretty basic plot that isn’t influenced by the
country of origin, so adapting it should be pretty simple — as long as
they manage to keep the balance between the dark sense of humor and the
“human” drama.

Photo: Being Human from BBC America

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/default.aspx?CBID=wl&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_pcscout:102009