Allow me now to applaud your priorities, sir.

"If all the world's a stage and all the people merely players, who in bloody
hell hired the director?" -- Charles L Grant

To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: ravena...@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:17:02 +0000
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: Roll Call: What are you reading?

      I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this comment
is made tongue in cheek.  The sentiment itself is one widely held and it annoys
me mightily because books remain an entertainment bargain.  Conversely, you
never hear anyone comment on how expensive

video games are or how expensive text messaging is (I just found out my son -
who currently does not have a pot to piss in - is spending $90 a month for his
cell phone - how many books a month would THAT buy?).

(This is right up there with my favorite pet peeve which is when people see all
the books in my living room, bedroom and office and invariably, incredulously,
ask "Did you read ALL these books?"

Yet, I have a several carousels containing hundreds of DVDs and nobody has ever
asked me if I have watched ALL those movies).

Further, a book, especially a hardcover book, is a gift that keeps on  giving.
My daughter is currently reading my hardcover copy of "Beloved."  My son has
read all my Easy Rawlins mysteries and then, when he began purchasing them on
his own, I read his copies.

Lastly, it is possible to purchase a hardcover book for the same price as a
previously viewed DVD at Blockbuster.  I shop the bargain table at Barnes and
Noble all the time.

As I like to say, you gotta have priorities.

~rave!

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/