It is also noteworthy that George Washington included a provision in his will
to free his slaves upon the death of his wife. At the time of his death, there
were 317 slaves at Mount Vernon – 123 owned by Washington, 154 "dower slaves",
and 40 rented from a neighbor. Washington had completed and updated slave
inventory list in 1799.

(from Wikipedia):
Washington's secret 1799 will
In 1799, Washington revised his 1786 slave inventory list. This was done to
make sure that his own slaves would be emancipated.[1] It is speculated that
Washington wrote his will in secret in July 1799 because his family would
severely disapprove of emancipating, caring for, and educating freemen, women,
and children. In the will the old and the infirm freed slaves would be taken
care of until death by their heirs. The freed children would be bound by the
Court until they reached 25 years of age, and they would be taught to read and
write and be brought up to some useful occupation. William Lee was given
immediate freedom or the choice to stay at Mt. Vernon with $30 annual pay.[34]
Part of Washington's will read as follows:
Upon the decease of my wife, it is my will and desire that all the slaves which
I hold in my own right shall receive their freedom...And whereas among those
who will receive freedom according to this devise, there may be some who from
old age or bodily infirmities, and others who on account of their infancy, that
will be unable to support themselves; it is my will and desire that all who
come under the first and second description shall be comfortably clothed and
fed by my heirs while they live....[34]
On the education of the newly freed African Americans:
The Negroes thus bound, are (by their Masters or Mistresses), to be taught to
read and write; & to be brought up to some useful occupation, agreeably to the
Laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, providing for the support of orphan &
other poor Children.[34]
To ensure that the executors of the will would not try to find some way to
evade his wishes to free the slaves, Washington wrote:[35]
and I do hereby expressly forbid the Sale, or transportation out of the said
Commonwealth, of any Slave I may die possessed of, under any pretence
whatsoever. And I do moreover most pointedly, and most solemnly enjoin it upon
my Executors hereafter named, or the Survivors of them, to see that this clause
respecting Slaves, and every part thereof be religiously fulfilled at the Epoch
at which it is directed to take place; without evasion, neglect or delay
http://twitter.com/ravenadal
http://theworldebon.blogspot.com

________________________________
From: Tracey de Morsella <tdemorse...@multiculturaladvantage.com>