From: "Tracey de Morsella" <tdli...@multiculturaladvantage.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:25:13 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Torchwood is Coming to the U.S.

Plucking British shows from across the pond and remaking them for American
audiences is not a new practice. Also not new is the fact that most of them end
in disaster. Still, anyone with half a brain knows the trend will continue, and
that we'll just have to deal with it. But the latest show to get picked for
Americanization even made me wince.

Ready? Okay, here goes: Fox is importing Torchwood , the popular spinoff of
Doctor Who , according to The Hollywood Reporter .

The show has a solid pack of rabid fans here in the United States, and the
standalone miniseries Children of Earth delivered big-time ratings for BBC
America when it aired last year. In other words, a lot of people are going to
be very weary of the project.

However, there is one indication that a U.S. Torchwood won't be a shell of its
former self. Series creator Russell Davies is writing the script, and the rest
of the Torchwood production team is on board for the U.S. version.

Whereas the original Torchwood focused on a small group of operatives that
dealt with aliens on a local basis, the U.S. version will feature a branch of
the Torchwood Institute and cover more international territory.

With Davies on board, there's an infinitesimal chance that the reboot will
actually be good. What's your hope for the series?

http://www.tv.com/torchwood-is-coming-to-the-u.s./story/20871.html?tag=hotspot;gumball;1