Welcome Back.  !!!!!

Glad you came back with a bang.  Regarding the closer, I used to think that
maybe they were setting her up to be bulimic or something, fortunately, they
no longer go there with the character

From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scifino...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Grayson Reyes-Cole
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 1:13 PM
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [scifinoir2] Gamer - Spoilers

Hey Guys,

I'm coming out of lurkland! How's it going?

I didn't go see the movie Gamer when it was in theaters, mainly because I am
all Gerard Butler'd out. But I think, perhaps, I would have gone to the
movies if I had seen the rest of the cast. Though Gerard and "Luda" were not
big enough draws for me, adding in Michael C Hall, that chick from The
Closer or Kevin Bacon's wife, whichever (that is mean and misogynistic and
potentially offensive, but I don't care for The Closer and I'm offended by
the idea that chocolate will make me batty and orgasmal... I find *that*
misogynistic), Amber Valletta who's always either in a messed up
relationship or is a thinly veiled prostiute or some king or has a kid
missing in a movie, Alison Lohman who starred in the exceptionally gross
Drag Me to Hell, John Leguizamo (my Latin boyfriend), Ohymygod is that Keith
David?, and Mr Ripped himself, Terry Crews as Hackman made it a little more
interesting.

What I find I like about this movie is this: Because I do play a lot of
video games, including adventure games, shooters, and war games, I
recognized the concept of bringing that into a violent focus through a film
which reads completely and utterly vicious and reprehensible because it
exactly portrays game action with live people, and that concept was fully
realized for me.

I also think Terry Crews was stellar in the two seconds when he was not
being all hack-y. At his introduction, he's breathing heavily and having
what I can only refer to as a malevolent asthma attack that works well for
the mood. The first speaking scene he's in I absolutely adore. He's sweaty,
covered in blood and the lighting is very low. Since his and my complexion
are about the same, I take sincere note of and appreciate the way they avoid
over-lighting so that he both fades into the dark and becomes a menacing
part of it that's almost anime in look and feel. Then he starts singing this
cheerful song "I've got no strings" and he sounds really happy and it is
super freaky and I love it.

Now let's add that it's got some pretty cool future-PC affects and what has
to be one of my new favorite musicalslashdanceslaskfightyetcrazilyKubrikian
scenes led by the serial killer everyone wants in their neighborhood. It has
the potential, I'm seeing it, I'm wanting it. but...

It's kinda crappy... Yeah, I know. I know. But I needed to extol its
positives earlier in order to fairly say it sucked...

Here's my top ten list of things that irritated me:

1) The battle scenes were too long... Yeah, yeah, yeah I said that it made
sense the way they were done and they appropriately simulated game play...
sooooooooo what!

2) Luda's attempt to persuade Simon into freeing Kable is a bit hard to
believe... Oh I know the talk was necessary, but damn couldn't they make it
a bit more eloquent of a moment? Actually, I retract that Luda and his whole
organization the Humanz is not well thought out and is a trope for trope's
sake.

3) Hackman does not get killed in a honorable battle mano a mano and I
needed for that to happen.

4) Vomit and pee are not so great as energy sources even if they are
renewable

5) Snowplows are not that agile

6) I saw the dude controlling Kable's wife in Seven, it didn't end so well
for him...  Wait a minute... that wasn't Seven, that was The Last Comic
Standing.

7) "We're all slaves"... Shaking my head at this scene.

8) Milo Ventimiglia: You embarassed yourself once in The Curse and it was
amusing. This time, not so much. Rick Rape? Really, you should be ashamed of
yourself.

9) Why do people seem to equate the near future with the abuse latex?

10) "My nanocells are meant to transmit." nuff said.

The ending of this movie is like the ending of one of my books before my
editor gets violent with me. I get rushed and impatient and want to finish
so damn bad I take rush. I admit it. It's a shortcoming. THAT'S why I thank
my editor in advance for the literary violence and work on it every single
day. But damn... really?

Did anyone else see it?

 --Grayson