Alien Life May Be on Earth: ScientistAre aliens already among us?
<http://omnikool.discovery.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/news.discovery.com/space/alien-life-microbes-earth.html/211439930/Top3/default/empty.gif/67504861466b74544355344143765a37?x>
 Tue Jan 26, 2010 01:59 PM ET | content provided by Raphael G. Satter,
Associated Press
 [image: Alien Life May Be on Earth: Scientist]

According to Paul Davies, an award-winning Arizona State University
physicist, alien life could be lurking "right under our noses -- or even in
our noses."
*Getty Images*

*THE GIST:*

   - *Some microbes here on Earth may have originated in space, according to
   one scientist.*
   - *Proving that some life forms on Earth are of alien origin would be
   fraught with difficulties.*

------------------------------

For the past 50 years, scientists have scoured the skies for radio signals
from beyond our planet, hoping for some sign of extraterrestrial
life<http://news.discovery.com/earth/its-the-end-of-the-world-its-an-alien-invasion-no-its-a-cloud.html>.
But one physicist says there's no reason alien life couldn't already be
lurking among us -- or maybe even in us.

Paul Davies, an award-winning Arizona State University physicist known for
his popular science writing said Tuesday that life may have developed on
Earth not once but several times.

Davies said the variant life forms -- most likely tiny microbes -- could
still be hanging around "right under our noses -- or even in our noses."

"How do we know all life on Earth descended from a single origin?" he told a
conference at London's prestigious Royal Society, which serves as Britain's
academy of sciences. "We've just scratched the surface of the microbial
world."

The idea that alien micro-organisms could be hiding out here on Earth has
been discussed for a while, according to Jill Tarter, the director of the
U.S. SETI project, which listens for signals from civilizations based around
distant stars.

She said several of the scientists involved in the project were interested
in pursuing the notion, which Davies earlier laid out in a 2007 article
published in *Scientific American* in which he asked: "Are aliens among us?"

So far, there's no answer. And ever finding one would be fraught with
difficulties, as Davies himself acknowledged.

Unusual organisms abound -- including chemical-eating bacteria which hide
out deep in the ocean and organisms that thrive in boiling-hot springs --
but that doesn't mean they're different life forms entirely.

"How weird do they have to be to suggest a second genesis as opposed to just
an obscure branch of the family tree?" he said. Davies suggested that the
only way to prove an organism wasn't "life as we know it" was if it were
built using exotic elements which no other form of life had.
 [image: garbage]
*WATCH VIDEO: Will the real ET be little green men or little green bacteria?
* <http://news.discovery.com/videos/space-alien-speculation.html>

*Related Links:*
------------------------------

   - *Alien Abductions: Idiocy of the Worst
Kind*<http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-abductions-idiocy-of-the-worst-kind.html>
   - *Man Looks for Aliens, Loses
Job*<http://news.discovery.com/space/man-looks-for-aliens-loses-job.html>
   - *HowStuffWorks.com:
Aliens*<http://science.howstuffworks.com/alien-physiology.htm>
   - *Kepler Telescope to Scout for Alien
Worlds*<http://news.discovery.com/space/kepler-telescope-alien-life.html>

------------------------------

Such organisms have yet to be found. Davies also noted that less than 1
percent of all the world's bacteria had been comprehensively studied --
leaving plenty of time to find unusual organisms.

"You cannot tell just by looking that a microbe has some radically different
inner chemistry," he said.

Davies' call for alien-hunting scientists to look to their own backyards
came as one of the pioneers of the search for
extraterrestrial<http://news.discovery.com/space/the-search-for-extraterrestrial-polluters.html>intelligence
told the conference the job of finding proof of alien life in
outer space may be more difficult than previously thought.

Frank Drake, who conducted the first organized search for alien radio
signals in 1960, said that the Earth -- which used to pump out a loud mess
of radio waves, television signals and other radiation -- has been steadily
getting quieter as its communications technology improves.

Drake cited the switch from analogue to digital
television<http://news.discovery.com/tech/future-tv-wide-angle.html>--
which uses a far weaker signal -- and the fact that much more
communications traffic is now relayed by satellites and fiber optic cables,
limiting its leakage into outer space.

"Very soon we will become very undetectable," he said. If similar processes
were taking place in other technologically advanced societies, then the
search for them "will be much more difficult than we imagined."

But Drake said scientists at SETI were excited by the possibility of using
lasers to send super-bright flashes of light into space for a tiny fraction
of a second. The flashes could theoretically be seen up by an advanced
civilization up to 1,000 light years away, and Tarter said infrared versions
of the devices could possibly send beams even further.

But Drake noted that the interstellar equivalent to turning a flashlight on
and off only works if a prospective alien civilization wants to get in touch
to begin with.

"For this to work ... there has to be altruism in the universe," he said.