The Tablets haven't been popular because they have mostly been Windows
based. They have been in production for at least 10 years now. This is the
first Apple attempt at it so they may have some additional features that may
improve the process.

There are a few companies out there such as fedex and UPS that use tablet
pcs every day. They work really well if you enjoy using a pen or pencil but
have to interface with a computer. Artists would find it also very useful.