The guy on the motorcycle worked for emergency services but was ex-military.
he was husband to the scientist that was studying the meteors. The science
behind the movie was hilarious. Element 121!

They also did some night time shots at Pier 39 in San Francisco with people
walking in the background and in a building that was a movie prop location
that was used in Dirty Harry. (That was an actual quote from the script!)
Majority of the scenes were shot on Sunday mornings. You can tell by the
absolute lack of traffic. If they wanted realism of people evacuating the
city, all they had to do was shoot during rush hour.