To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
From: ravena...@yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:42:33 +0000
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: Movie: Primer

      A primer is a strand of nucleic acid that serves as a starting point for
DNA replication. They are required because the enzymes that catalyze
replication, DNA polymerases, can only add new nucleotides to an existing
strand of DNA. The polymerase starts replication at the 3'-end of the primer,
and copies the opposite strand.

In most cases of natural DNA replication, the primer for DNA synthesis and
replication is a short strand of RNA (which can be made de novo). This RNA is
produced by primase, and is later removed and replaced with DNA by a repair
polymerase.

Did you know that?  I didn't.

~rave!