I just finished watching Jim Sheridan's "In America."  I remembered when this
little film got 3 Oscar nominations back in 2004 (Best Actress for Samantha
Morton, Best Supporting Actor for Djimon Hounsou and Best Screenplay for
Sheridan).  At the time I was like WTF? because I had never heard of it (it
made $25 million at the box office, which is kinda impressive because I don't
know anybody who saw it). I was intrigued primarily because of Hounsou's
Supporting Actor nod (like Denzel Washington's "Glory" character Trip, who "ran
for President," Hounsou didn't win).

Well, I just saw it and it is a remarkable little film.  Both the acting nods
were well deserved and, frankly, Paddy Considine should have been nominated for
Best Actor as well for he carries much of the movie.

Hounsou's performance is problematic because it is the archetypal "magic negro"
role.  I won't spoil the ending for you but you all know what magical negroes
do.

Also, the Irish immigrant family embodied by Considine, Morton and the
wonderfully guileless Bolger sisters, Sarah and Emma, seem to land in a
candy-colored, magical realist New York City. Sure, times are hard and they
live in a tenement, but the girls roller skate on hardwood floors, attend
Catholic school and walk unmolested to an old fashioned ice cream parlor run by
African immigrants.

Still, the movie is full of wonderful little grace notes and is worthy of all
the awards it won.

~rave!