As a metaphor for being poor and immigrant, "In America" features the most
insidious arcade game I have ever seen.  A barker conjoles you to spend a
dollar to win an Elmo doll.  All you have to do is throw three  baseball sized
balls into the mouth of an aluminum drain pipe (that is surrounded by happy
little Elmo dolls).  The catch is, if you fail to place on three balls into the
mouth of the pipe, you pay the barker double - but it is double or nothing.  If
you wager another $2 and you win, you owe nothing.  If you lose you owe $4 in
addition to the original $2 you lost.  But, once again, if you wager another $8
and you win you owe nothing.  But, if you lose, you owe $16.  If you quit while
you are ahead but behind you are now out of $26. But if you bet just $32 and
you win, well you owe nothing. Do the math.  You can walk away $26 poorer but
for just $8 more you could owe nothing AND win an Elmo doll.  Shoot, that's
almost breaking even.  So you pony up ANOTHER $32 dollars.  And lose.  Now you
owe another $64 dollars.  Now you are in for $90 but in you just wager another
128 dollars...