From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:25:53 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Re: "Kick Ass" lightly taps butt

Again, to me, it speaks of a collective lack of creativity. Too many times, in
too many of my groups, I've heard the cry, "How does this piece of sh*t get
made?" The answer -- everytime a remake or a sequel succeeds, it's a message to
H'Wood, that the audience will basically pay for a retread every time. Next
thing we know, the tire industry will catch on.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Kelwyn < ravena...@yahoo.com > wrote:

Chris Rock, who is one of the producers of "Death in a Funeral," has discovered
something I have known for years: the best way to upgrade the quality of black
films is to remake white ones. His "I Think I Love My Wife" (the thinking man's
"Why Did I Get Married") is loosely based on Eric Rohmer's obscure "Chloe in
the Afternoon."

What remaking little known white movies (especially foreign ones) offers the
black filmmaker is usually a sturdy chassis on which to construct a reel black
world populated with doctors, lawyers or, in this case, a tax accountant and a
best-selling author.

It allows the black filmmaker the opportunity to mine comedy from universal
themes instead of from primarily African-American antecedents - which, this
being America, often aren't very savory.

When you remake a white film with black actors, you don't have to explain
anything. It just is. Just like it was in the white original.

~rave!