I'm watching Stephen Hawking's two hour "Into the Universe" on Discovery
Channel. That's to be followed by "How the Universe Works", a one-hour show on
black holes, one of my fav topics. I am really enjoying the show. The graphics
are really cool, lending colorful visuals to the phenomena they discuss: the
formation of black holes...how Sol condensed from a dust cloud and started
fusing...how the "stuff of life" from which we're made originated in stellar
fusion, released by the explosions of supernovae. Very entertaining. My only
minor complaint is, like a lot of shows of this type, it's a bit light on the
science for me. For example, they talked about how black holes formed, but
didn't go into detail about why some black holes are larger than others (how
does a point singularity equate with descriptions of size?), or explain the
statement that smaller black holes actually aren't pure black, but give off
energy. Of course they're covering a lot of time, and the show is crafted to be
easily digestible by a diverse TV audience, so I won't quibble too much.

I really like the show, but you know, decades later, I still haven't seen a
science series that moved and informed me quite as much as Carl Sagan's
"Cosmos". A close second is James Burkes' great series "Connections", a British
science series in which the narrator shows, as the name implies, how
discoveries and inventions across history and in various places are related to
each other in amazing ways. He may, for example, start talking about the
invention of the steam engine, and in the middle, tell you how a key part of
its invention is related to...tea in India, then jump from that to the art of
spinning yarn, and so on, ultimately showing how all these seemingly unrelated
things in fact worked together. Fascinating stuff, which you can watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSxL8GUn-g