I think movies like Transformers was a difficult situation to resolve.
Mainly because they knew that the movie would attract the under 13 set so
they couldn't make it too violent or have complex emotional situations.
(although Japanese anime hasn't had a problem with that, but they also do
not have crazy lawsuits either.)