Well, I was around 5 or 6 when I first saw the movie.  I guess it was that
it did all the things this chem-robot is supposed to do.  I was always
looking under door cracks and checking out the vents.  Plus when I looked
out of my bedroom into a partially illuminated hallway, I could always
convince myself that any rounded shadow was moving, and therefore might be
the blob.