From: "Mr. Worf" <hellomahog...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:39:07 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Boeing's unmanned aerial vehicle hits goals

Boeing's unmanned aerial vehicle hits goals

Boeing said the first flight of the X-51A WaveRider unmanned aerial vehicle
reached a top speed of about Mach 5 and flew nearly three and a half minutes
before losing acceleration and being destroyed.

By Seattle Times business staff

Boeing said the first flight of the X-51A WaveRider unmanned aerial vehicle
reached a top speed of about Mach 5 and flew nearly three and a half minutes
before losing acceleration and being destroyed, as planned.

Using a Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne supersonic combustion ramjet motor, the
unmanned vehicle was launched from under the wing of a B-52 Stratofortress that
took off from Edwards Air Force Base in California.

"We built four test vehicles to get a successful flight, and we hit many of our
goals right out of the gate, the first time around," said Charlie Brink, the
Air Force's X-51A program manager.

"This is a new world record and sets the foundation for several hypersonic
applications, including access to space, reconnaissance, strike, global reach
and commercial transportation," said Joe Vogel, Boeing director of Hypersonics
and X-51A program manager.