I used to manage a couple of RISC-based Unix boxes at my old job. The probes
that NASA uses for deep space missions use different chip and instruction sets
than any regular desktop. The OS used for those probes is very spare, but very
efficient, which is how NASA engineers are sometimes able to resend the entire
code to malfunctioning probes millions of miles away.

As for the delay in some tech, I think we also have to look at shifting
paradigms, profit motives, and politics. For a long time, space exploration was
tied to national security and national pride: beat the Reds and the Russkies to
outer space so they can't "win" over us. The early heady days from Mercury to
Apollo were full of patriotic symbolism, and security concerns, such as making
sure we conquer near space so an enemy doesn't seed it with nuclear weapon
bearing satellites. Also, those space programs resulted in a lot of
demonstrably useful tech that filtered down to everyday life: the microwave
oven, heat-resistant ceramics. Tang. We used to think that space exploration
would provide a never-ending source of innovative technological advances that
would trickle down to make our lives better.
But once political/militaristic views changed the emphasis on space diminished.
Shuttle accidents made people think we weren't ready for primetime. The
billions of dollars spent on programs that couldn't get men to Mars, probes to
the nearest star, or anything approaching an elegant space station soured some
on the whole affair. Perhaps more importantly, the explosion of tech hear in
Earth--in the form of the computer/Internet revolution--turned our eyes inward
instead of outward. Suddenly the new frontier for both intellectual innovation
and profit was shifting from jobs in aerospace, to those in programming, Web
design, network support, and computer support. Nowadays you see very few young
people who dream of being either astronauts or engineers in the aerospace
industry.