(By the way I sent the publishers these questions

1) Who retains the rights to any characters besides the main ones
(the publisher has issued a very skimpy "bible" with names and some
facts about the main characters)

2) Who has rights to any setting details provided--customs, modes of
transportation, location, etc

3)  Is the writer guarenteed work on any subsequent books if the
series is a hit?

4) How about any character details the writer provides (nothing about
personal history, parents, hair color, height, weight, clothes, etc
was provided)

5)  What about ancillary rights such as tv, movies, games, etc.

The answers came back quickly.

The company keeps everything.  The contracts are for one book only.

I recall another Siegel and Schuster story.  When Superman was a big
hit and there were all these toys, games, watches, newspapers strips,
radio shows, etc coming out, people would say, "Man you guys must be
getting rich."  And of course they weren't.

I still ask myself, "Why take a chance?"