The author does make some good points.

When it comes to writing about another culture, I think a difference
has to be made between what a corporation (such as the Star Trek
producers do) and what an artist does.

I like reading multicultural books with many different characters. I
cringe when I read a book where everyone is white. At the same time I
also cringe whenever I read a book where it's evident a character is
a token. I also cringe at the thought of being "forced" to put
someone into my story just to make the book more multiculti. I tend
to write about different cultures but that's just me.

It's pretty hard to understand how a writer in the US could live a
life that doesn't include many cultures but I suspect it's possible.
If a writer in the United States writes a lot of novels and most of
those novels have only people from her/his own culture then I'd
wonder.

-C

Carole McDonnell
www.carolemcdonnell.com