Chris, yours is a well considered response.  I have no doubt "Lord of
the Rings" is about to pass over into the canon of literature that
lives.  I would include Octavia E. Butler and Samuel E. Delany as
serious writers.  Chester Himes and Walter Mosley do not reach the
bar, as far as I am concerned, although, taken as a whole, Mosley's
Easy Rawlins saga, in its entirety, approaches the heights reached by
August Wilson in his 10-cycle play about black America.  I happen to
believe Richard Wright is overrated, but that is personal nit.

~rave!

--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>