Black sci-fi is all of those, and it includes all African races from Carribean,
mother Africa, and going so far as even Brazil.

  I think I told you guys I am writing my book and including all of it, but I'm
doing it for a reason. I found you can not segregate African American, nor can
you segregate stuff done by non-blacks. Take "Brother From Another Planet", to
me, a quintessential black-sci-fi film, though it doesn't go as deep as I would
like it to. It was not written by a black man, nor was the character Blade
created by a black man but they are highly important fictional elements and
twists on the genre at large. What if a vampire with a different pgiment of
skin battled other vampires? Great thought provoking stuff, and if you noticed
he was ostracized too.

  Now on the other hand, I wouldn't consider some things black sci-fi. I don't
think because Halle Berry is in "Gothica" it makes it a worthy entry. Nor would
her Catwoman. And this is what upsets me about the industry brothers and
sisters, they bury race as an issue when it obviously is. Once you approach the
issue only then can we move on. They try to ignore it completely, and this IMHO
is one of the problems with race relations in this country and worldwide.

Chris Hayden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          There are probably at least as many answers to that as there are
Black people:

To begin I might say

1)SF written by Black people
2)SF written for black people
3)SF with Black main characters, settings and themes
(and then you ask, what is a Black setting or theme)

I think we would have to ask what does African or AFrican American or
Black mean?

And for SF writers they would ask what might it mean in 1,000,000
BC. Or 1,000,000 AD?

What would it mean to a non human extraterrestial?

What wouldit mean to a person who was of African or African American
descent born in another galaxy?

Who is the Blackest?
Uhura
Geordi LaForge
Tuvok
Benjamin Sisko

Some have held that Tananareve Due is pandering. Do you think so?
And to who?