--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since my goal is to sell stories and get paid for them, I don't
care how my work is classified. I am a beginner and need to learn a
lot. Now I am writing "western science fiction." My last story has a
Black slave purchased by offworld toads to teach English to offworld
slaves. He does his job well and becomes a full member of the ship's
crew. He brings Jefferson Davis to the toad's ship to negotiate a
treaty for "The West Texas Slave Market."
> He makes sure that Davis is covered with antiradiation foam and
that all of Davis's gifts are blown off the magic carpet by a detour
through a thunderstorm. Then the civil war ends.
> Is this Black science fiction? I think it is a good idea to get
published anywhere you can and get your name out there. Don't avoid
small magazines, websites, anthologies. There are many small markets
that will buy unusual stuff.
> It appears that I will not become rich and famous from sf writing
but I can have a bit of fun.
> Lizardly,
> Norman Riger
> thepoemlizard
Very nice looking, in my opinion, Sir.  Keep going.  Personally I
have found that sharing content depletes my ability to write the
thing, but if you can, go on!  I did one for Damon Knight some time
ago which took place out West.  It was about one of the few black
survivors of the you know what war ... and how he is taken up by a
beautiful alien woman.  (Sigh!) But anyway, I could not have
published or written this if I had dealt out my cards previously ...
but your idea sounds great to me, and super loaded.  Make it
entertaining, Captain!  I don't mean funny necessarily, but do
the "hold the reader by the back of the neck."  You will be fine,
particularly since you are not looking to make money!  And fame is a
chancey thing too.  Robert heinlein asked me what I sought.  "Fame,"
I responded.  "Take my word for it," he returned.  "When you become
famous you will wish you were not, and you can't go back."
Easy for him to say, right?  Anyway, Fame is apparently a dubious
goal.  (I am not one who is famous, clearly!)  Here's the ticket in
my opinion: Write from your heart about what you know.  Keep writing.
I think in many cases you garner your fame after you've gone.  And
lo, well, never mind!  Just see:
http://www.jivagoswamidasa.com/interest.htm
Very respectfully
jivajiva (President Club Services)

American or
>   Black mean?
>
>   And for SF writers they would ask what might it mean in 1,000,000
>   BC. Or 1,000,000 AD?
>
>   What would it mean to a non human extraterrestial?
>
>   What wouldit mean to a person who was of African or African
American