I have read "Oscar Wao" - I highly recommend it - and I have met the author,
Junot Diaz,

(I agree on both counts.  I met Junot too when he had put out "Drown".  Cool
cat.  Down to earth.  Go hear him read.

but I am confused as to why an excerpt from this book is included in the best
"African-American Fiction" of 2009.

(I suspect that Messrs. Early and Harris are trying to broaden the definition
of what is African American--a stance which I agree with.

Junot is Dominican American and, like Puerto Ricans, there is a strong African
strain in their blood lines.

I may direct a query to them.  Harris, anyway.  Gerald Early is one of the most
paranoid Negroes alive and never responds to any queries.  He lives and works
right here in St. Louis, by the way.

Maybe he is scared of St. Louis Negroes.  There is good reason.

Maybe he knows something we don't)