Hi,

A student recently asked me about (medical) image registration in Python. I had
to tell him that there is currently hardly anything like that in Python.

I was frustrated enough about this that I decided to turn a piece of code from
my PhD work into a usable library. It’s a thin wrapper around the awesome
Elastix image registration toolkit. I figure/hope that because its so thin, it
won’t need much maintenance, and/or is easy to maintain by others. The code and
docs are on Github: https://github.com/almarklein/pyelastix Further, the
package is on conda-forge and Pypi.

Aside from this announcement, I’d like to propose to put together a list of
Python packages that do (nonrigid) image registration. Since efforts in
Python-based image registration have only resulted in relatively small and
unknown packages, it would be good to have an overview. What would be a good
place for this? Maybe a wiki-page on scikit-image’s Gitub repo?

Two entries I would add:
- Kasper Marstal’s SimpleElastix:
https://github.com/kaspermarstal/SimpleElastix (also based on Elastix, but
compiled against it instead of wrapping the CLI). It’s hard to compile, but
Kasper is currently working on putting it on conda-forge.
- During my PhD I developed PIRT (https://bitbucket.org/almarklein/pirt), which
uses Cython. It’s a bit idiosyncratic, so it will need work to make “generally
useful”. I don’t have the time to do this, let alone maintain it when people
start using it.

Regards,
  Almar