Kein-Hong,

I've seen references to Lua from within SciTE (and related sites) but again
I admit I'm not familiar with that tool so I'll chalk this one up to "I'll
take your word for it."

I also have Openoffice installed and am familiar with the line numbering
tool.. but to my disappointment, when I opened an exported RTF and enabled
line numbering, strangely the result was that even wrapped lines were
numbered. I'll have to go through the steps again. I'll also try it in a 2.x
version to see if it gives a similar result. If it does then it's just a
bug, but one to take up with the OOo people and not to discuss here.. ;)
Nonetheless, I prefer to avoid using too many tools in order to get simple
text editing (and printing) done. IE is ubiquitous as any browser.. OOo
still needs to be downloaded and installed. :(

On a lighter note, I have decided upon a different solution altogether.. at
least for the time being. If one exports to HTML, then inserts "<ol><li>"
after the body tag, and then does a search/replace for the literal "<br />"
closing the body, you can have a make-shift line-numbered HTML output that
can be safely printed using your regular browser -- all in about 3 steps.
Thanks to the export.html.title.fullpath variable, one can also entitle the
printed page without forgetting where it was first acquired.

Personally, I think the printing subsystem should allow for a more ample
inclusion of variables, and a lot more flexibility in the print output. I'm
quite surprised to learn the only way to get scite to change its output
format is to -ahem- recompile the application(?) Isn't that a little extreme
for, say, changing a little formatting? I mean, for binary formats like PDF,
okay.. since binary is considered one way or another.. but HTML or RTF?
Shouldn't text-based output formats be templated instead of hard-coded? Make
a properties page.. simple, compact.. optional.

I looked into what it would take to compile a version of SciTE for myself..
and it would seem to be pretty straight-forward.. will it take more than
downloading the MingW package with GCC, assuming everything in downloaded
and installed correctly? I'm willing to do the extra work to spruce up what
I can.. with the approval of others of course.

Thanks again, kind regards,
Julian

p.s. I'm moving into XSLT but that's still somewhat daunting if all I want
are some small adjustments to the output/export format(s). Would you say
this might be easier than tackling MingW/GCC?