Megan Bock wrote:
Oops. I've always said "site" too, because I assumed that Scintilla had the soft "s" sound.

Well, I chose this pronunciation too... It is quite natural, easy for my tongue and less offensive than the sh... derivative :-) And I think that SciTE doesn't any longer merits this depreciative connotation dating back from the times it was a "less-than-able" demo program for Scintilla.

So, Neil pronounces skintilla?
I always pronounced sintilla, probably because it is similar to the "scintiller" French verb, which even has a past form:
"L'étoile scintilla dans la nuit"
"The star twinkled in the night".

On 12/29/05, *Robert Roessler* < [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Karl Anderson wrote:
     > :What is the correct pronunciation of SciTE?
     >

     > Interesting :) Have I been mistaken calling it "sight" all this time?
     > I personally prefer (sight/site)SciTe because it conveys a sense
    of vision.
     > By the way, I was delighted to see Komodo using Scintilla, it
    made me feel very much at home.

     >  "We can't go on living like this"
     >  -Mikhail Gorbachev
     >

     > :  Neil Hodgson wrote:
     > :
     > : : :  What is the correct pronunciation of SciTE?  I've heard
    different
     > : : :  people
     > : : :  butcher it different ways.
     > : : :
     > : :  Its simplest to say "skite" which is Australian for "boast"
     > : :
     > :  "i" like in "ski"/"lee" or "sky"/"lite" ?
     > :  Do you pronounce the trailing "e" ?

    Gosh - I just always spell out the acronym when talking or thinking
    about it: S c i T E. :)

Wow, a bit tedious, and unnatural as you know that the Sci comes from Scintilla, so there is no point to distinguish individual letters.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France