On 6/29/07, Chachereau Nicolas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't really like the assumption that a process can only
communicate with SciTE if it started it. I think a process
should be able to become a director even after SciTE started.
According to the documentation, it is possible on Windows, SciTE
can send its window handle to the process through command line
parameters, if it starts the Director. I would say that any
process should be able to communicate with SciTE, as long as it
knows how to, whether it was started by SciTE or not. This means
SciTE would always be listening for messages, and this has
consequences for the single instance code. Single-instance is
only a special case of IPC, and I think it should make use of
the Director extension. We could keep the current code for
people defining the NO_FILER constant, and use Director for
everybody else.

These are exactly the issues I came across, and I've been working on
the director interface to come up with something which is (a)
backwards compatibile (i.e. scitepm would still work) and (b) fixes
some bugs (c) allows for the 'correspondent' feature of the Win32
interface and (d) allows for multiple programs to listen to the same
SciTE instance.

The last is the interesting one and I'll post my solution in the next few days!

steve d.