> Have you found the other needed patch?

Yes, I searched for it because you referred to it. Using the Linux VM
just for maintaining an embedded firmware mod for a router, I was
missing the libgtk2.0-dev package as well and got build errors. As I
supposed this to be a classical one, I searched the mailing list archive
for the name of the corresponding Debian package and found it. Then the
build ran smoothly and my first test shows that the issue is resolved by
those two patches. I can copy text from SciTE to my VMware host via
VMware tools now.

You made a dumb SciTE beginner (those can be a pain in the a**, I know)
quite happy. :)

Best regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch