I think it's a good idea so Lua is not a system requirement for more
powerful scripts that require other libraries.

OK, by which I understand that people will not be required to have the
Lua 5.1 DLL.

While we're talking about extensions, how about loadable extensions?
That is, shared libraries which implement the Extension interface.
Yes, it can always be hacked with a Lua layer to pass on
notifications, but it's an idea. (We already use MultipleExtension.)
For instance, if someone were to integrate Python, then that would be
a clean way to do it.

Not a high piority idea, but something to think about.

steve d.