Me:

>    Scintilla should probably do something more sensible with invalid
> UTF-8 rather than relying on Pango to fail nicely. However its
> difficult to do anything sensible with invalid UTF-8

   As a work-around, if I have time, I may map invalid bytes in
supposedly UTF-8 text into Private Use Area characters (probably
E000-E080) that should then be properly handled by the platform
although will look a little weird. A better solution would be to have
little hex blobs [C4][E3] like Scintilla's control character display
but that is more work. Whatever is done, there's going to be some
speed/complexity cost.

   Neil