Need an update here, since my last experience of AMPS/DAMPS etc. is *old*.

In Europe, GSM is very common.  Thus the GSM SIM  is a *very* widespread
T=0 smartcard...

(SIM = Subscriber Identity Module.  I get it from the cellular operator, and
can use it in *any* GSM phone.  It also stores my short numbers and SMS data.)

But how common are SIM cards in other countries?  Are there AMPS/DAMPS etc.
cellulars using smartcards, or are they still "locked" to the subscriber?

If the SIMs are common everywhere, it may be worth using them as "poor mans
smartcards" since they are easy to get.  They more or less have a 7816-4
filesystem for numbers etc, and PIN protection.

Thanks

Morten Norman