hi,

     If its working with winnt, thats means GCR410 is working. But
     i still dont understand why its not blinking. Was it blinking
     when you used it under Windows NT??

     Honestly, I never tried GCR410 connected with COM3. But I
     dont see any problem with that. Have you tried GCR410
     connected with COM1/COM2 ? Or could you connect some
     another serial device(eg Modem) in linux and check its working?

     about strace error, I could not figure out.
     When IFD Handler tries to open comport, it will make
     following system calls

     open(), tcgetattr() & tcsetattr() and i dont think any of this function
     calls select() internally. But G_SerPortRead function of IFD Handler,
     calls poll() function and in some linux system, poll()
     internally calls select().

     I guess, You should have source code. Just check that open()
     system call returns properly or not??
     File : gserial.c function G_SerPortOpen()

     I think problem is G_SerPortOpen() function returs properly.
     Then IFD Handler sends some bytes to reader and expects
     reply. Since reader is not working (bcos LED does not blink),
     it is not sending any data back to PC. IFD Handler's Read
     operation  time outs.(In G_SerPortRead function, file gserial.c)

     (I use poll() system call to implement waiting.) And thats
     why Pcscserver is saying "Port Open error"..

     so please try this and let me know where actually error occurs.

     nothing else..

     bye
     -a