Hello, I was wondering if I might bother you with a question which
relates to smart cards on Linux, but probably just as much to
understanding Linux.

I have recently taken on the task of porting a test program which calls
pcsc  to Linux (using the pcsc lite 0.7.1 implementation). I am quite
new to Linux and I have not yet grasped how external devices, like smart
card readers, are recognized by Linux. I have ordered a book on Linux
programming, but surface mail is ever so slow...

* I have compiled and linked PCSC-lite and the Gemplus driver library.
* My smart card reader is connected via the serial port.
* I have a test program which uses pcsc, but so far I have not been able
to get any useful response.
* I am using Corel Linux (and it should detect my reader on startup,
right?)

I would like to use SCardListReaders() successfully, and I was
wondering:

What are the prerequisites of calling pcsc on Linux to be able to get a
sensible response? How can I be sure pcsc knows that my Gemplus reader
is there?

Do I need any other downloads or change any settings?

Regards,
Frode Nortvedt