I think a driver should do the following:

At Reset CT (ICC) or Request ICC:

* Reset the card.

* Apply default comunication settings: 9600 bps, 1000
ms initial waiting time.

* Detect if the card offers more than one protocol or
D and F are different from the default (1, 372). If so
send PTS and select "best" communication settings: T=1
better than T=0, (why use T=0 if T=1 is available?
there should not be difference from the application
point of view so this would not make drivers
incompatible) and higger offered baudrate (if this
features are implemented by the reader/driver).

Then the application can send commands using this
settings or request a new "reset and PTS" specifying
PTS parameters:

* A CT-API application would call CT_data() to send a
CT command with the PTS request.

* A PC/SC application would specify T=1 in the PCI
parameter of SCardTransmit() and the IFD handler would
reset the card an do PTS.

* The driver would reset the card, and perform PTS as
specified by the application.

If PTS succeeds, the application cand send commands
using the new settings.