A query from the editor of Box and Fiddle magazine.
David Francis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

t/f (44) 131 557 1050 (o); (44) 131 669 8824 (h)

Stoneyport Agency representing:
The Cast; Ceolbeg;
Fiddlers Bid; Keltik Elektrik; McManus, Evans, MacLeod
www.stoneyport.demon.co.uk

Bella MacNab's Dance Band
www.ceilidhdance.com

Dear All,

This e-mail came in this afternoon.  I haven't a clue if he's right or not, but I seem to remember something about two different tunes, both called "Wee Todd".  Can anyone enlighten me?

Best wishes,

Karin
Dear Editor

I noticed in the February issue of the Box & Fiddle magazine that you credit the tune 'Wee Todd' to the late Iain McLachlan of Benbecula.  This tune was actually composed by the late Angus MacAulay, originally from Benbecula, who spent his adult life in Glasgow.

The real name of the tune is 'Wee Tot'.  He composed the tune in 1956 for his grand-daughter who was about a year old at the time and hence the title.  Angus composed a number of tunes but none of them were written down.

Addie Harper of the Wick Scottish Dance Band heard the tune being played one night at a dance in Loch Carron and, obviously impressed, thankfully, decided to write it down.  The Wick Scottish Dance Band include it in on their tape 'By the Peat Fire Flame'.  Other bands have included it in their selections since.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding about this very popular tune.

Yours faithfully

John MacPhee
Glasgow