On Wednesday 01 August 2001 20:38, you wrote:
> >An electronic tuner is measuring the fundamental but
> >what your ear is "measuring", hearing,  on a "note" on an acoustic
> >instrument is much more.
>
> I prefer a tuning fork (I almost wrote pitch fork by mistake!).  Does the
> ringing of the fork include the other harmonics etc. and might that be why
> I like it better?  I think I also like it because I amplify it right on my
> fiddle bridge so it seems like my own instrument making the sound.  At a
> session, when I can't hear a pitch fork, I just tune to what seems to be
> the average A.
>
> - Kate

Hmm.. I was wondering about the harmonics in that situation too. I think the
ringing fork actually *does* cause sympathetic vibrations from the A string
when the frequencies (or pitches, whichever it is depending on what the fork
is generating) match. When I tune using the tuning fork, the ringing gets
noticeably louder when the string's in tune.

Wendy