I second David's comment on tuning a clarsach. It certainly helps to have a
tuner if you have 30 some strings to get in tune. It truly does save time,
and I'd rather be playing than tuning endlessly. However, I do still tweak a
few strings after I use the tuner. Some tones just won't sound right. Always
the "B" needs tweaking.

Regarding tuning forks, they represent the perfect fundamental. There are no
upper-partials when you strike a tuning fork. A professor of music told me
once that a tuning fork is the *only* instrument that produces a perfect
fundamental, but I don't know if that's true.

--Cynthia Cathcart