I just went to a performance of the songs of Allan Ramsay by (mainly)
Ian Bruce, assisted by Marc Duff (whistles, recorder, mandola and
bodhran) and Chris Stout (fiddle).  This was sponsored by the Saltire
Society and a local pub so it was free, with free beer, wine & biscuits.
Well-attended as you might expect.  Fred Freeman researched it and did
the introductions (through one of the silliest-sounding throat mike
setups I've ever heard).

This was obviously not a professionally-rehearsed, slick show, but it
made an almost-persuasive case for a very different image of Ramsay
than the usual one.  Freeman appears to believe that Ramsay was a man
of the people with democratic instincts that prefigured Burns, and Bruce
did the songs that way; heavily rock-influenced guitar-playing with
pounding bodhran backing, sung much faster than I expected.

Did it work?  Sort of.  I hope he records some of this, because it
points to a way of rescuing a lot of Ramsay's songs from oblivion;
you *can* do them as pub-folk-rock numbers and get away with it.

Problems?  Quite a few.  Ramsay's words are not as familiar as Burns,
and he tends to go in for more complicated syntax, which means that
singing them as fast as Bruce did loses the meaning a lot of the time.
The gorilla thrash guitar and bodhrans didn't aid audibility.  And the
lack of rehearsal meant that the supporting musicians (Chris Stout in
particular) were often at a loss for something interesting to do.  Some
of the tunes got streamlined down to fit the guitar-led style; I don't
think this was ever an improvement over the best versions from Ramsay's
own time.

But overall, nothing that couldn't be fixed with a bit more rehearsal
and studio time (and greater familiarity on the part of the audience -
e.g. having the texts on the CD liner) and I'd like to see a recording
company take this stuff on.