Hi Kate,
There are two composers of note called William Ross - both pipe majors.
The earlier is known in piping as 'Uilleam' Ross to distinguish him from
Willie Ross, Scots Guards and later chief instructor at the Army School of
Piping.
The latter compiled five excellent books of pipe music, although he is
largely an arranger - but he does have a few very good original tunes of his
own. His arrangements of competition style MSR are considered the classics
of modern piping and widely played.
Uilleam's book has never really been accepted as anything other than a
curiosity by pipers although there is a growing tendency to critically look
at his piobaireachd settings in this new 'enlightened' age.
I don't have it in front of me but I believe Willie died c 1966. His great
pupil was John D Burgess.
Last year or so we ran an extensive article on Willie Ross in Celtic World
under the series on the 12 greatest pipers of the 20th century.
If you need anymore please let me know, although I might be a bit slow in
replying.

Bruce Campbell (Editor)
Celtic World (incorporating Highland Gathering, established 1986).
The best selling Celtic cultural monthly.
Postal address: PO Box 98, Corrimal NSW 2518
Street Address: Suites 4/5 108 Railway Street, Corrrimal NSW 2518 AUSTRALIA
TEL 02 4285 7480
FAX 02 4285 7482
mobile 0415 647 423
Normal monthly Deadline: 15th of month prior to publication.