> Just a comment from a couple of weeks back:  I did take  versions  of
> the  two  tunes  called "Gramachree" along to the dance event, and it
> was pretty much agreed that neither  of  these  tunes  was  what  was
> needed.   The jig was out because the dance is a strathspey.  The air
> was a more likely fit, since airs are sometimes used for strathspeys.
> But  we  just couldn't make it sound right.  So we picked some random
> strathspey tunes that we knew, and the dancers seemed happy.
>
> Maybe there's a version of "Gramachree" that we don't know  of,  that
> would work for an air-type strathspey. The usual sources for Scottish
> dances seem to imply that "Gramachie" is a tune that everyone  should
> know.   But  none  of  us seem to know it, and it isn't in any of our
> books.  The dance was published by  Miss  Milligan  (Miscellany  v.2)
> without a tune, and she also implied that the tune was well-known.

Somewhere I have a paper-and-pencil copy of a c.1800 song with the
refrain "and aye he grat for gramachrie" followed by some mangled-
Gaelic nonsense (i.e. this dates to before I acquired a laptop and
will take some finding).  I think it might have been about a country
wedding going spectacularly wrong.  I can't remember what tune was
suggested for it.  Maybe this might be another tune that could have
been given the same name?