Nigel Gatherer wrote:

> Andrew Kuntz wrote:
>
> > Miss Gunning's Reel appears in several collections such as Vickers
> > (1770)...The Irish collector Brendan Breathnach attributed MIss
> > Gunnings to Marshall (who would have been only 22 when the melody
> > appeared in Vickers)...
>
> In 'Scottish Fiddlers and their Music' (M A Alburger 1983) she says
> that Marshall was thirty-two when he first published his compositions.
> If Vickers is dated 1770 this proves your theory. I too took
> Breathnach's attribution as gospel, but I can't think if I've seen
> Marshall credited anywhere else. I'll try and look at the Thompson
> collection mentioned by Bruce Olson and see if it's the same tune; if
> it is, the mystery is irrevocably solved. Good sleuthing, Andrew!
>
> --
> Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/
>
> Posted to Scots-L - The Traditional Scottish Music & Culture List - To

Sorry about that last. I inadvertantly clicked on 'Send' before pasting
in my note as follows:.

I did copy "Miss Gunnings" from the c 1780 reissue of the Thompson's
first collection of 200 country dances, but forgot to note that in my
typed up contents list. It is definitely "Miss Gunning Reel".

X:1
T:Miss Gunnings
S:Thompson's 1st coll'n of 200 country dances
S:via c 1780 reissue of c 1758 collection
L:1/8
M:C|
K:A
c2BA (G/A/B) ED|CEAc BE E2|c2BG G/A/B Ed|(c/d/e) EB|cAA2::\
aAaA aAA2|(G/A/B) "tr"B2 (G/A/B) "tr"B2|aAaA aAA2|c2BA DAA2::\
ce"tr"fe ce"tr"fe|fedc BE "tr"E2|(ce)"tr"fe ce"tr"fe|\
fefg aAA2:|]

Bruce Olson
--
Roots of Folk: Old British Isles popular and folk songs, tunes,
broadside ballads at my no-spam website - www.erols.com/olsonw

Motto: Keep at it; muddling through always works.