[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Bruce and Nigel -- Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate very much your
> diligence in tracking down the Thompson's info. as it nails the issue.  "Miss
> Gunning's" was apparently  written in honor of one of two sisters from
> Roscommon, who came from down-on-their-luck gentry but who parlayed their
> renowned beauty into fortunate marriages: one married an earl and became Lady
> Coventry, the other married a duke and became Duchess of Hamilton and Argyle.
> They were the toast of London in the 1750's (which fits nicely with the
> tune's appearance in the Thompson collection). Irish beggers would thank
> tippers with the phrase "May the Luck of the Gunning's be with ye."
>
> Alas, beauty fades, and one of the sisters ended up poisoning herself with
> lead-based cosmetics applied in an ever-heavier manner.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew
> Posted to Scots-L - The Traditional Scottish Music & Culture List - To
>subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to: http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html

In Charles Gore's 'The Scottish Fiddle Music Index' the theme
code of "Miss Gunning's" in D. Rutherford's 1st collection of 200
country dances, c 1756, (source code R12v1) is the same as that
for several copies of "Miss Gunning's (Reel/Delight)", as is that
from the c 1780 reissue of the Thompson's 1st collection.

Probably the same is "Miss Gunning" in J. Johnson's 6th vol.
of 200 country dances, 1751. [Listed in 'National Tune Index', as is D.
Rutherford's, and copied to file CNTYDAN2 on my website.]

The tune is undoubtably not a composition by Wm. Marshall.

Bruce Olson
--
Roots of Folk: Old British Isles popular and folk songs, tunes,
broadside ballads at my no-spam website - www.erols.com/olsonw

Motto: Keep at it; muddling through always works.