Ellen Sinatra wrote:

> Steve Wyrick wrote:
>
>> . . . and overall the tunes
>> sound more accurate when time is taken from the following note.  . . .
>
> Perfect subject heading for my follow-up question.
> Is this what is known as the "Scottish snap"?
>
> Thanks,
> Ellen Sinatra

No, a Scottish snap is a 16th note followed by a dotted 8th, played downbow,
upbow.  The 2 notes are written beamed together.  I'm not sure if this is a
standard convention, but some people write them with a slur; this doesn't
mean that they are played on a single bow, but is simply to distinguish them
as a snap (in sight reading, this aids in telling a snap from the reverse,
i.e. dotted 8th followed by 16th). -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- Concord, California