Nigel wrote:
> According to Jerry Holland, Altan credit Derry fiddler Dermot
> McLaughlin as the source, but the title suggests he got it from
> elsewhere. Aly Bain played a set of "The Hawk" by James Hill going into
> a Shetland version of "The Hawk", and I'd bet that that was the
> original source.

More likely.  The Shetland Fiddler was around in the mid-70s at least.  Aly
Bain recorded the Hawk with Alistair Anderson on the 1972 album 'Alistair
Anderson plays English concertina'. Trailer LER 2074.
He plays it in G (the notes say this is a Northumbrian version learned from
Billy Pigg, N pipe legend) and D (a Shetland version).  Hill's original is
in E.
The Shetland Fiddler is like the D version, with the second part changed to
make it easier, and maybe a little funkier.

Other tunes...

> Lady Dorothy Stewart (jig)
Credited to Aeneas Rose (1832-1905) pipe major of the Atholl Highlanders.
Written for Lady D (daughter of said Duke) on her marriage to Harold
Ruggles-Brise.  Don't know how many tunes he had named after him.
Written as a 6/8 march, by the way.
Source is said to be in D Glen's Collection, vXI.
My source is J Murray Neil's The Scots Fiddle v1.

> Birsay Beach (jig)

Recorded by Jim Cameron Band and the Wrigleys, but source unknown. Birsay
Beach is in Orkney.

Derek