Currently played by whom? I've only ever heard it played in D. All the
recorded and notated versions I have are in D, as are all the versions
located by John Chambers ABC Tune Finder.

> It isn't very likely
> that somebody would hit upon the idea of transposing the tune that
> way and accidentally get back to the original, is it? - Skinner's
> version of the same tune ("The Spey in Spate") works just fine in D,
> it doesn't need to be in E for the fiddle.

I'd never noticed the resemblance between these two before, but I think
it's largely superficial - I don't think they're close enough to be
regarded as versions of the same tune.

Regards,

Ted